GANDHI JAYANTI CELEBRATIONS
[02 Oct 2018; Jintai Art Museum, Beijing]
Remarks by Cd’A Shri Acquino Vimal
We have assembled here today to celebrate the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of Indian nation. Even though he is not in midst of us, his words and actions continue to inspire all of us. Gandhiji symbolizes the humanistic values of truth and non-violence. He himself practices these values and his life became the example for the whole world. His fight against oppression, inequality and injustice led India in the fight against colonialism and its eventual freedom.
2. Gandhiji’s life has set a new standard for selfless leadership globally, based on the fundamental principles of truth and righteousness.
3. Many global leaders followed his path. Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela and many others. In recognition of the life and work of Mahatma Gandhi, the United Nations declared his birthday, 02 October, i.e. today, as International Day of Non-Violence.
4. Gandhiji did not visit China, however his thought and philosophy has been recognized and appreciated by Chinese thinkers.
5. Today as we remember ‘Bapu’ on the eve of his 150th birth Anniversay, we must continue to keep in mind his philosophy of universal peace, tolerance and brotherhood.
6. Starting today, Embassy of India, in collaboration with others in China, intends to celebrate in a major way the 150th birth anniversary of Gandhiji. I encourage you all to join us to spread his message in your own way as well as in collaboration with us.
7. Let me thank Ms Ruo Hua, Director, Jintai Art Museum for hosting this beautiful function, and my special thanks to my young Chinese friends present here.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Let us all join today to pay our deepest respects to Gandhiji. Thank you.